Locations listed are located in Pennsylvania (USA), unless otherwise noted in post.

07 January 2011

Double check those dates ...

Double check your dates. This seems really obvious but worthwhile saying - especially today. Why today? Today is Christmas! Christ is Born! Glorify Him!

Christmas? No, I haven't been asleep the last two weeks! And yes - Santa did come on the 25th of December. However, I am Ukrainian Orthodox and we are - liturgically - still on the "old calendar". While having two Christmases is cool, it has created some challenges in my genealogical searches.

For example, my grandfather was born 5 January 1918. However, his baptismal record shows him born 18 January 1918 - 13 days later! When Gigi (my grandfather) was born, the Old Calendar - or the Julian calendar - was still used. It is the only place I have found this discrepency for him, although I have found instances for other family members as well.

Best of luck in your genealogical searches! Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment