04 January 2011

Tombstone Tuesday - POMAHKO

When I first saw this stone in our church cemetery (Holy Ghost Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery in Coatesville, Chester County, PA), I had no idea it was family. I simply thought it would be nice to have a stone similar when it's my time. I like the simplicity of it - a simple Orthodox cross (note the footrest versus the T shaped cross of many other Christians).
Turns out - Onifur Romanko is my grandfather's uncle.

When my grandfather - PANKO HRUSZCZAK - immigrated he had to list who he was coming to see or stay with here. That is how I connected the two. He listed Onifur Romanko as his uncle living in Coatesville. Onifur's wife was Rosalia (or Rose). These two were married in 1917.
Under their vitals is a phrase we use for those who have passed -- Vichna Pam'yatʹ. Translated it means "Memory Eternal". May their souls rest in eternal happiness and may their memory live in God’s Kingdom from generation to generation. 
Locations listed are located in Pennsylvania (USA), unless otherwise noted in post.