Skip to main content

Amanuensis Monday

Amanuensis Monday is a blogging theme for GeneaBloggers which encourages the family historian to transcribe family letters, journals, audiotapes, and other historical artifacts. The letter transcribed here today is from my Aunt - Helen Still Webster. She helped so much with my research on the Still line.

Her letter - dated 8 March 1994 - combines general chit chat as well as a bit of family history and memories. I must also first say that Aunt Helen was born 24 August 1903 so at the time of this letter she was 90 years old. While she was still sharp often her style of writing took some following. I have chosen though to transcribe the letter exactly as written.


My dear Jeanne & family,
     I received the history material and thank you and appreciated it very much.
     I talked with Tom Still wife and she said Beth Still Garris had got one and all enjoyed it.
     Well you deserve a lot of credit for doing so much work on Still history.
     I hope Mary Teresa is doing well. God is so good to us to send us children that we can love and enjoy. I looked up her picture and see where she is a year old. Happy Birthday Mary Theresa. Lloyd and Mary would have been so pleased with her.
     I wrote Alice Rodgers my sister son Aubrey in Cal. to ask him to send me the dates of births and deaths in his famiy and I will mail them to you.
     I also wrote Bob Still Logans son to send me the dates of births and deaths in thier family. Hope they do this and answer.
     With my eyes it is difficult to do things. Well I worked at Unionville High School for 13 years and I was 78 and my eyes I was starting to have problems with them.
     Hope you and Glenn keep well. Neva Still said she talked with you recently at Barb Ruczhaks your mother.
     That would be wonderful if you could write a book some time. People said I should have wrote a book well by the time I retired at 78 my eyes were failing.
     Well we have had 15 snow storms and another one on the way.
     Well I in 90 years never seen such icy snowy winter.
     It would be wonderful if you could write a book.
(page 2)
     Margaret Still
     Well we all started from Margaret Still and she must have been a great lady with lots of get up and go.
     My mother was not much to talk about history but she did tell me this story. she said the Stills lived in S. part of Chester Co. so this Margaret they did not know what to do with her so parents bought her a farm in E. Fallowfield on goosetown rd. now Able Book farm. it had been up for sale for huge price so Margaret moved there and became mother of David & George Still who was my grandfather.
     David lived near Modena on a farm married twice had 2 children. Billy Still moved to Modena and Clara I think we were not very close to David family. We just knew who they were.
     Well you know people back then must have been like people of today living together and not married. It is a shame that children dont know who they are.
     This farm of Margaret Still is where my father and all his brothers and sisters were born there.
     Story
     My father youngest one in the family so when the parents went away in horse and buggy my father always went along so one day he could not make up his mind so his mother dressed and undressed him several times so finally he said I will stay home so when her parents started he cried and run after the wagon so they got his clothes and dressed him on way.
     My father was a school teacher at Modena, Laurel, Embreeville and Lancaster Co. and lived on the farm before marriage then with 6 kids had to go to work at Lukens Steel Mill.
                                            Love
                                            Aunt Helen Webster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coatesville's First Serial Killer

Young Alexander Meyer was a disturbed and angry young man with some major issues. He had failed sixth and seventh grade, and instead of having to repeat eighth grade again, he finally gave up on school. At age 16 he quit Downingtown Junior High. Meyer is not a relative, nor are his victims (that I am aware). I stumbled upon young Alex while reading Tortured Minds: Pennsylvania's Most Bizarre - But Forgotten - Murders by Tammy Mal. On 11 February 1937 Alexander Thweatt Meyer killed young Helen Moyer as she walked home from school in Coatesville along Modena Road. She was not his first. The jury was out only three minutes after hearing Dr. Michael Margolis' testimony on the death of Helen Moyer. The jury determined Meyer had murdered Moyer and should be held for first degree murder. The jury also condemned the parole system which had released Meyer back into the public, after having served just 14 months in Huntingdon Reformatory, for the murder of two other girls - Anna Blasc

Thaddeus Stevens at the Lancaster Convention Center

Within the Lancaster Convention Center (Lancaster, PA) is a small section dedicated to Thaddeus Stevens and Lydia Hamilton Smith. The section is known as the Stevens & Smith Historic Site. It is scheduled for development this year. At the moment one can only get a glimpse of it through the Convention Center or by peeking in from the outside. Here at Queen and Vine Streets in Lancaster City, Pennsylvania, Thaddeus Stevens had his law office. Stevens was an abolitionist. An abolitionist is a person who favors the abolition of a practice or institution, especially capital punishment or (formerly) slavery. Stevens was born 4 April 1792 to Joshua Stevens and Sarah (Sally) Morrill in Danville Vermont. One of four children, he attended Vermont University from 1810 to 1812 when the War prompted its closure. He then went to Dartmouth, where he graduated in 1814. He then studied law and found himself set up in Gettysburg, PA in 1816. He practiced law there until 1828 when he found hi

Living History Offers Opportunity to Step Back in Time

Have you ever wondered what it would have been like to work the fields on a plantation during the Revolutionary War? Or stroll through an 18th century village? Or fight in battle during the Civil War?  Living history  offers an interactive perspective which incorporates  historical  activities and dress providing a sense of stepping back in time. So, how can YOU step back in time? Rock Ford volunteer Nancy Bradley in the Study of the mansion Rock Ford Plantation, in Lancaster County, PA, will be hosting a Volunteer Tour Guide Recruitment Event on Sunday, 22 March. They need tour guides for its upcoming tour season.  Built circa 1794, Rock Ford was the home of Edward Hand and his family. Hand, an Irish immigrant and physician, served as Adjutant General to George Washington during the Revolutionary War.   Volunteer tour guides at Rock Ford bring the past to life for museum visitors. A tour guide can be any person aged 18 years and up. No experience is necessary, and trainin