Skip to main content

52 Ancestors: October Birthdays

Several people in my family were born in October. My cousin Janet Webster Sammons will celebrate her 84th birthday this year and God love her she is still going strong! Another cousin, Lorraine Welsh Webb, will celebrate her birthday too. There are many a few others but, in my humble and of course unbiased opinion, none that stand out as much as my babies! 

My twins – Anna and Zorina – will be 17 on Wednesday, the 7th.  They were a month early, which is not unusual for twins. They were born on a Wednesday.  

That week I went into work – drove myself – for our advertising staff meeting. At the time I was selling ads and writing for the (now defunct) Ledger Newspapers in Quarryville. I announced I would be working from home thereafter and made arrangements with the one of the other salespersons (her name was Dee, a real sweetheart but for the life of me, I cannot recall her last name) for her to stop by and pick up my ad copy. Tuesday morning, I stayed at home and sold ads a good portion of the day. Did well too.  

Wednesday, I was going to go drop my husband at work (he was at Clipper Magazine at the time) and then head over to the doctor’s for a routine check up. I was so uncomfortable that morning! I didn’t even realize I was already in the early stage of labor. I just thought I ate something that didn’t agree with me. After all, they were not due for another month. I didn’t have the nursery set up. The crib was not even put up yet! My bags were not packed. It never dawned on me that they would be a month early! Thank goodness my husband realized what was going on … and for the sense not to tell me! The doctor realized it too but they told me I should go on over to the hospital for a non-stress test. That was in the morning. While the nurses hooked me up to every machine imaginable to test the stress levels on the babies, I continued to sell ads from the hospital bed. Finally around noon the nurses told me I had time to make a decision – natural or c-section. That’s when it all hit! 

The girls continue to catch me off guard sometimes, even now 17 years later. I am so lucky to have them in my life.  They both have good souls. I am humbled that God trusted me and granted me the privilege of raising them.  

It is customary in our Church to wish the birthday girls “Mnohaya Lita.” This is Slavonic for “God Grant You Many Years”. So … my babies … Mnohaya Lita! 

Amy Johnson Crow, of No Story Too Small, challenges fellow GeneaBloggers each week with her 52 Ancestors Challenge. This week’s prompt is:  October: What ancestor has a birthday or anniversary in October? 

 

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks is a weekly genealogical challenge issued by Amy Johnson Crow,
© Jeanne Ruczhak-Eckman, 2015

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coatesville's First Serial Killer

Young Alexander Meyer was a disturbed and angry young man with some major issues. He had failed sixth and seventh grade, and instead of having to repeat eighth grade again, he finally gave up on school. At age 16 he quit Downingtown Junior High. Meyer is not a relative, nor are his victims (that I am aware). I stumbled upon young Alex while reading Tortured Minds: Pennsylvania's Most Bizarre - But Forgotten - Murders by Tammy Mal. On 11 February 1937 Alexander Thweatt Meyer killed young Helen Moyer as she walked home from school in Coatesville along Modena Road. She was not his first. The jury was out only three minutes after hearing Dr. Michael Margolis' testimony on the death of Helen Moyer. The jury determined Meyer had murdered Moyer and should be held for first degree murder. The jury also condemned the parole system which had released Meyer back into the public, after having served just 14 months in Huntingdon Reformatory, for the murder of two other girls - Anna Blasc

Thaddeus Stevens at the Lancaster Convention Center

Within the Lancaster Convention Center (Lancaster, PA) is a small section dedicated to Thaddeus Stevens and Lydia Hamilton Smith. The section is known as the Stevens & Smith Historic Site. It is scheduled for development this year. At the moment one can only get a glimpse of it through the Convention Center or by peeking in from the outside. Here at Queen and Vine Streets in Lancaster City, Pennsylvania, Thaddeus Stevens had his law office. Stevens was an abolitionist. An abolitionist is a person who favors the abolition of a practice or institution, especially capital punishment or (formerly) slavery. Stevens was born 4 April 1792 to Joshua Stevens and Sarah (Sally) Morrill in Danville Vermont. One of four children, he attended Vermont University from 1810 to 1812 when the War prompted its closure. He then went to Dartmouth, where he graduated in 1814. He then studied law and found himself set up in Gettysburg, PA in 1816. He practiced law there until 1828 when he found hi

Living History Offers Opportunity to Step Back in Time

Have you ever wondered what it would have been like to work the fields on a plantation during the Revolutionary War? Or stroll through an 18th century village? Or fight in battle during the Civil War?  Living history  offers an interactive perspective which incorporates  historical  activities and dress providing a sense of stepping back in time. So, how can YOU step back in time? Rock Ford volunteer Nancy Bradley in the Study of the mansion Rock Ford Plantation, in Lancaster County, PA, will be hosting a Volunteer Tour Guide Recruitment Event on Sunday, 22 March. They need tour guides for its upcoming tour season.  Built circa 1794, Rock Ford was the home of Edward Hand and his family. Hand, an Irish immigrant and physician, served as Adjutant General to George Washington during the Revolutionary War.   Volunteer tour guides at Rock Ford bring the past to life for museum visitors. A tour guide can be any person aged 18 years and up. No experience is necessary, and trainin